Monday, February 25, 2008

(Cathy Diep) From the Once Naïve 15 Year-Old Who Knew Nothing


When I was in ninth grade, I joined a culture club at my high school because everyone else did. Sometimes I believed the real reason why students join is to be part of a social connection that brought us all together. But, other times, I know that this social connection we are a part of comes down to one common goal: promoting better understanding and closer ties between and among various sub-components within the Asian culture.

Right now, I am a twenty year-old Asian American college student who knows very little of her past.

Have I ever thought about taking Asian-American Studies? Yes. Did I pursue it? Unfortunately, no.

My first exposure to Asian American Studies started my freshman year in high school when my culture club took a field trip the UCLA. We did the whole registration, name tags, and waiting in line.

Finally, we were welcomed by current UCLA students talking to us about admissions, required materials, college life, and financial aid. Later, we went to an Asian American Studies seminar where representatives from the department discussed what the major entailed to and its purpose.

Mind you, I was well taken to the major and began researching more and more about it when I got home from the field trip!

I wanted to learn Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc. I wanted to travel. I wanted to go to UCLA just for that major!

Then again, I was a naïve 15 year-old who joined a culture club because everyone else did. I did not have a purpose or a goal. Even though I knew little of my country and its past, the thought of it never crossed my mind. I can say without hesitation it was probably a fad I went through. For others, it is possible too. For some, maybe not at all.

Is it important to take Asian-American Studies? As an Asian American, I believe so though we don't necessarily have to pursue a degree in it. If I may recall, an introduction class in Asian-American Studies counts as a part your general education requirements. Something to think about!

If and when I decide to take the course, it has been said to feel uplifting to learn about the difficulties Asian Americans have faced and even more touching to learn about the difficulties they still encounter today.

Hopefully, we can walk away with our own sense of identity on what it means to be an Asian-American. Gender, race, sexuality, and culture have been defined, challenged, and thus, redefined.

Although I have not yet taken an Asian American Studies course, I feel it is not too far along the way until I will be taking one in a couple months.

Five years ago, I would have enrolled in this course for the sake of taking it. Now, there is an appreciation and drive for understanding the history and beautiful culture of Asians in the United States. I am not the 15 year-old I once was. Twenty is the new me!

5 comments:

Sakamoto Nobuyuki said...

I always wonder what [fill in the blank]-American studies are. Many people from many cultures have been in the U.S.A. for quite a long time and have become intermingled to the point where they have forgotten the [fill in the blank] part of their heritage.

I believe it's more difficult for Asians to find a middle ground between being completely American and being completely Asian and the younger members of the family become the former with the older members remaining the latter.

I hope that every American-Asian links to their heritage, whether through classes or personal quests.

Be knowledgeable about who we were, as well as who we are.

Anonymous said...

I minored in Asian American Studies. I am Asian American, but before enrolling in those classes, I hadn't much thought of, or discussed, "being Asian." In Asian American Studies classes, I was surrounded by other students that some people would say are "just like me." But I learned so much from hearing about the different paths we walk and the different views we hold, not just our similar struggles or triumphs.

Now I have a clearer, more well-rounded perspective of myself and my background. More importantly, I know more of the choices I can make for myself, whether relational or personal. I don't simply see things the way I'm told to see them, and I don't take everything I see at face value. I look at the world through my own lens, but I discovered the value in being able to see through the lenses of others, too.

Asian American Studies wasn't just an Asian experience for me. It prepared me for life beyond.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,
I am a sixty-three year old Asian American woman who is still exploring what it means to be an Asian in the U.S. When I went to college, Asian American Studies was nonexistent. It was up to me to begin my own journey of self-exploration. So I am glad that you are able to explore your background. What helped me was the children's books that I wrote based on my family's experience in the internment camps. They are entitled: Blue jay in the Desert and Welcome Home Swallows. Please let me know If I can help in your journey. All the best.
Marlene Shigekawa (mshige@pacbell.net)

Anonymous said...

I understand where you are coming from. However I'm part Native American Indian Cherokee. We don't have A Native American Indian studies classes on the East coast colleges as far as I know!

I didn't learn that I was Part Native American until I was in the 5th grade and it was a lesson learned the hard way but it's all good! Once I learned where I came from and got past my shame of always playing the cowboy instead of being Native American. I got my shit together. However there also isn't a study group for multicultural students to know who we are! Plus shame is a killer! I would love to learn Cherokee, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Tanalog and every other asian lag there is to know if at all possible! I may need them, however a lot of Native Americans say Hao as hi or greetings, much like I want to say Nea Hao is Mandrian or Cantonese but I could more then likely be wrong! That's cool because I'm Not Chinese so I guess we can let that slide right! I just wanted you to know so that I understand where you are coming from!

Electric Explorer said...

Even tho im not Asian
this really open up my mind a lot more than before
I thought Spanish people had it bad
but their are a lot more people out their..that have suffered more
this really is a good thing you wrote
makes me want to take Asian American studies