Tuesday, February 12, 2008

(Patrick Lee) Pigeonholed by Race


Two nights ago, I was studying in a friend’s dorm room to get away from the raucous party raging in my common room (a UFC fight was on pay-per-view, and one of my suitemates had gathered a group of friends for an all-night viewing). As I was trudging through Don Quixote, another Korean-American student living in the same entryway wandered in and, off-handedly, remarked “Gosh, you’re so Asian.”

Coming from someone of a similar ethnic and cultural background, I didn’t know what to think or how to respond: immediately forgetting about Don Quixote’s adventures as an errant knight, I tried to understand what he could have meant by such a statement: by seeming to fit the Asian American stereotype of studying all-day long and being bookish, was I less legitimate as a person?

I might have been overreacting, but I think part of my instinct to think these thoughts stemmed from my context: at a university where the student body is extremely diverse – not just in terms of race and ethnicity, but in terms of interests, passions, and talents – I had assumed being ‘typecast’ and judged as one particular stereotype or another would be rare. The fact that another Asian American had judged me on the basis of a shallow and culturally insensitive notion didn’t so much as shock me as confuse me: are such stereotypes so ingrained into our culture that even the people they pigeonhole buy into them?

In other words, I certainly don’t view myself as a token Asian American – whatever that means. Naturally, I would assume that others don’t view me in a stereotypical light, either, but whether his remark was casual or completely serious, the fact that he said it at all makes me wonder what cultural norms we abide by in society. If we’re of a minority ethnic background, do we become more “American” if we buy into stereotypes and pass them off as offhand remarks and jokes? Or should we be actively striving to dismantle them and make it the norm not to judge someone based on superficial expectations? Or, maybe I’m overanalyzing this all and it’s not worth considering, especially given the broad diversity of the United States and its reputation as a diverse cultural haven.

Regardless, the question of identity still remains: it is much easier to accept a standard identity and try and fit the role, but that defeats the purpose of individual existence. The purpose of life’s challenges and obstacles is to help individuals find their identities amidst the context of others – whether in a college setting, at work, or even in one’s family – and develop that notion of self into something one is comfortable with and can call one’s own. If we let casual remarks that buy into stereotypes occur without taking note and starting a dialogue, we risk falling into the trap of buying into them ourselves.

My reaction and the chain of thought it spurred might be overkill, but it’s much better than the alternative of swallowing it without thought or contemplation.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post on "Pigeonholed by Race" is relevant to a dialogue that last night became sidetracked regarding RAIN's recent signing with the William Morris Agency. Rather than my requesting to repeat all of your comments over in that thread -maybe you'd like to take a read of the discussion and the arguments that ensued.
www.dramabeans.com
by the way - that is NOT my blog that i'm asking you to take a look at. But I am the poster named canyayasis.
you can withdraw the web address, i'm not so interested in publishing the address, or your posting my comments, as I am on hearing you weigh in on the discussion.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. By "turning the other cheek,' we are engaging in tacit approval of the remark, which makes it more likely remarks like those will continue in the future.

Rudy said...

No Patrick, your reaction and thoughts were not overkill. Never except a standard identity that may destroy yours. As you say individual existence will then be defeated. Unfortunately ignorance, and stereotype is still among the general population. I'm actually from Canada, and I see a lot of the same up here. Just start a dialogue, reach out to others, and hopefully, eventually others will relize their "culturally insensitive notion." I'm a Caucasian male, born in Switzerland, but grew up in Canada. I honestly can't relate to being "less legitimate as a person?", but I feel for you. I am being pigeonholed not by race, buy for being gay.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I think you're thinking way too much into your friend's comment. Did you take into consideration his body language before you went off on a tangent of thought? :P If he was smiling or laughing, perhaps he meant it as an off-handed joke. If his face was serious and non-smiling, then maybe it was meant as an insult.

My friends and I joke like this all the time, and those friends are part Asian, fully Asian, and Americans. Everytime I do something typically me, they would say, "you're so Asian" and we all know it's a joke. We laugh about it and embrace it because it's funny. Even if it's stereotypical, that doesn't mean it's NOT true. The fact of the matter is, stereotypes come from SOMEWHERE (observations, etc.). If there's no fire, then there's no smoke. Now, I'm not saying that ALL stereotypes are completely true, but what I'm saying is that they all stem from SOME truths.

So, before you feel offended about any statements made by anyone, you should really consider the tone of that person and the atmosphere you're in.

I do get your point though, and I do believe that everyone's entitled to his/her own opinion. :D

Anonymous said...

Consider yourself lucky to be singled out from the mainstream because of your focus upon higher education. It has happened to all throughout history and has little or nothing to do with race, religion, etc. To say you are so Asian is very similar to some of us being called nerds and losers. You will be the hero in the end!!!

Anonymous said...

Patrick, I guess our features sometimes give away our origins. I happen to think Korean guys are very handsome and it matters naught if they are full blooded or mixed race. Yes we are divese but some cannot accept that..it is a shame.

Maybe your friend just wanted to identify with hisown background. At any rate you look great to me.

Tom copeguy@woh.rr.com

Anonymous said...

There's always gonna be assholes that try to make you feel bad for being what you are. The sooner you accept this, the better off you are.

Maybe that kid feels like a 'token' asian, and he takes pleasure in pigeon holing every asian he talks to so he wont feel so insecure. What a douche bag.

mattboy25.deviantart.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing this blog, Patrick Lee, about stereotypes.

Because we are social animals there will always be this push a nd pull between how we want to live our life and how others perceive our choices.

I can relate having been called an "Oreo" for "acting and talking white" and today, I teach at an Historically Black University and my students speak a variety of dialects, but many struggle with the so-called Standard American English - primarily out of fear about how they might be perceived if they encounter the people they grew up with who may have not had a formal college education.

The challenge, therefore, is to live your life as authentically as you see fit.

In addition to being an English instructor, I am also a writer, poet, journalist, photojournalist. These are careers that are creative at their root, as opposed to business-oriented fields. Again, am I breaking the stereotype? I am relatively happy with my life, and I hope to inspire others to choose a path that brings them the most contentment.

JoJo said...

This is so true. We do get pidgeonholed by race. It's amazing how ignorant people are sometimes. Read my post at www.jojoinparadise.blogspot.com